CLASSIC FLAT RACES
Here's a new mnemonic phrase by Peter Hobbs recalling the five "Classic" horse-races of the British flat season in their order of occurrence. It describes a half-drunk female deer or rabbit leading a race:
" Classic?... ½-GIN DOE LED! "
All five Classics are for 3-year-old horses only and are raced on the flat. Three are open to colts and fillies (2000G, Derby, Leger), but as colts tend to dominate the results the other two (1000G, Oaks) are for fillies only. At the end of the season the St. Leger (the oldest of the Classics) is open for both Derby and Oaks runners.
- 1 mile, Newmarket (1814) - May
- 1 mile, Newmarket (1809) - May
- 1m.4f. Epsom (1780) - first Sat. in June
- 1m.4f. Epsom (1779) - Sat. after Derby
- 1m.6f.127y. Doncaster (1776) - Sept.
Mnemonics Guide Page ©2000 An EUdesign site